Monday, July 20, 2009

Promises


I thought this picture was appropriate for a 'Good Morning' post. I've been looking - as most of you know - for promises that God has provided us. I've gotten 'stuck' in the book of James. I think I need to find out more about this man. All I know is he wasn't a disciple and he was a half-brother to Jesus. But I like his writing - it almost feels like I'm reading some proverbs in the New Testament. James strikes me as a wise man who understood our weaknesses and addressed them.

Perfect example: James 1:5-8 "If you need wisdom, ask our genrous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking. But when you ask him, be sure that your faith is in God alone. Do not waiver, for a person with divided loyalty is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is blown and tossed by the wind. Such people should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Their loyalty is divided between God and the world, and they are unstable in everything they do.

See? How did he know we are going to waiver. My prayer and thought pattern goes something like this..."God I know you love me and want what is best for me. Please give me wisdom to make good decisions that keep me in your will." Then I start doubting my decisions, asking others what they think, changing my mind, etc. I wish I could be stronger, but I'm not going to beat myself up about this. I'm going to continue to ask for wisdom and I'm going to continue to try to leave the situation with him.

Two other verses that come from the program I'm going through to memorize verses of the Bible. Of course this week the topic is "Prayer" (of course - there are no coincidences).

John 15:7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you.

Phillippians 4 6-7 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Beautiful, powerful verses. Can't wait to have these beautiful promises committed to memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment